Preview: Edmonton at San Jose
EDMONTON OILERS (29-23-4) at
SAN JOSE SHARKS (37-8-9)
Start Time: 8:38 p.m. MST (PPV starts at 8:15 p.m.)
Television: Molson Canadian Oilers Pay Per View (HD)
Radio: 630 CHED, Oilers Radio Network and online at edmontonoilers.com.
Today's Game Notes | Oilers/Sharks Head-to-Head | Stats Comparison
|SAN JOSE, CA - MARCH 16: Dwayne Roloson #35 of the Edmonton Oilers makes the stop during the shootout against Joe Pavelski #8 of the San Jose Sharks during a NHL game on March 16, 2008 at HP Pavilion at San Jose in San Jose, California. (Photo by Don Smith/NHLI via Getty Images)
by Nick Conrad | edmontonoilers.com
|THE ESSENTIALS FOR TONIGHT
The Oilers will have their fourth chance to equal their season-starting four-game win streak with a win tonight and by all means, they’ll be up against a juggernaut.
The San Jose Sharks’ top four scorers have 66 more points than Edmonton’s top four scorers and to boot, the Oilers are playing the second of a back-to-back road set.
Yet if the Oilers (29-23-4) are to repeat their two-point performance vs. the Sharks (37-8-9) on Dec. 6, this might be the time to do it.
The “slumping” San Jose Sharks have had only one win in six February games although they’ve managed to salvage six points. They are coming off a 6-5 regulation loss—only their eighth—to New Jersey on Sunday.
Edmonton and San Jose last faced off on Jan. 9 at Rexall Place when the Sharks won 4-1 on the strength of two goals by Patrick Marleau.
After tonight’s game the Oilers will head to Dallas for the final game of their four game road-trip before returning home for a four-game homestand starting with Calgary on Saturday.
Just The Facts...
OILERS TO WATCH:
The top line has been gettin’ it done. Ales Hemsky
had a goal and an assist last night to extend his point streak to four games. He’s scored 6-7-13 in 19 games vs. San Jose...Shawn Horcoff
continues to put up the points after missing two games. He had a goal and an assist last night and has five points over a three-game point-scoring streak...Robert Nilsson was held off the scoreboard last night but was a speedy force all night.
SHARKS TO WATCH:
Patrick Marleau scores one goal every two games vs. Edmonton. He’s got three goals in his last two games, 30 on the year and has scored 20-12-32 in 42 games vs. the Oilers...Since joining the Sharks, Joe Thorton leads all players in points (366) as of Monday as well as leading in points since 2002-03 (573). He leads the Sharks with 64 points and has 6-12-18 in 23 games vs. Edmonton.
Edmonton—Lubomir Visnovsky (torn labrum) is out. Denis Grebeshkov (high ankle sprain) is out. Fernando Pisani (ankle) is doubtful. San Jose—Marcel Goc (lower body) is out; Brad Lukowich (hernia) is out; Jeremy Roenick (shoulder) is out; Torrey Mitchell (broken leg) is out.
Craig MacTavish needs eight more wins for his 300th career NHL coaching victory...MacTavish enters tonight's game with a career record of 292-240-98 (.541) in 629 regular season games... MacTavish trails only Glen Sather on the Oilers list of career coaching wins and games...Sather compiled a 464-268-119 record in 842 games behind the Oilers bench...Edmonton is 6-7-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 6-5-1 in the second game...On Feb. 12, 2002, in Edmonton, the Sharks played their first penalty-free game in team history…Evgeni Nabokov's played in his 450th career game on Dec. 13 vs. St. Louis. He has the fourth- most games with one team among goaltenders in NHL history...Sharks’ forward Jody Shelley is second in the NHL in PIMs (1174) since he entered the league in 2001-02.
Monday's Post-Game Video...
Monday's Post-Game Audio...
The Other Side - news from sjsharks.com
- Sharks still gained road points - The San Jose Sharks are coming off their worst stretch of the season and still things don’t appear that bad. Despite a 4-2-4 mark in their last 10 games, the Sharks still have the league's best winning percentage ...more
- Ask the Sharks: Rob Blake - Rob Blake will be the next player featured on our weekly segment of “Ask the Sharks.” If you have a question you would like to ask the 39-year-old defenseman, E-mail it to email@example.com. ...more
Odds and Ends
- Video: Gretzky talks up Ales Hemsky - On Monday morning, Wayne Gretzky talked about Ales Hemsky and his status as one of the elite players in the NHL. Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner and Craig MacTavish reacted to Gretzky's comments. ...more
- 5 Questions with Tom Gilbert - We recently sat down with Tom Gilbert and asked him five fan-favourite questions on topics from non-hockey jobs to Saturday morning TV shows. Click to check out his answers and more Off the Ice features. ...more
- The LINK: Shaved heads & Pisani's hockey school - On this episode of The Link, we look at the Valentine's Day Hair Massacure where Ethan Moreau and Ales Hemsky shaved their heads. We also take a closer look at Fernando Pisani's hockey school. Follow the link for the show. ...more
From the Wire (AP)
WThe Associated Press preview will be available soon.