Now is your chance to become a part of Octane, the professional dance and promotional team for the Edmonton Oilers. You will help entertain more than 16,000 Oilers fans in Rexall Place during all home games! In the community the Octane cheerleaders attend events and support various charities in Oil Country
The Oilers Octane team is looking for dynamic dancers and promotional Octane members to make the 2014-15 season our best yet! This is your chance to be part of the action.
What is a promotional Octane member?
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, mature and responsible
- Dedicated and reliable
- Positive and energetic
- Physically fit to meet the demands of rigorous practice and performance schedules
- Committed to taking part in a majority of home games during the 2014-15 season in addition to community appearances
- Must attend a majority of home games – arrival time at the arena is 3 hours before game time*
- Practice 1 to 2 times a week plus additional fitness workouts*
- Participate in a minimum of 1-2 community events or promotions monthly
*you may miss an occasional practice or game for an approved reason
- Must be 18 years of age by October 1, 2014
- Cheer/Dance/Gymnastics experience is helpful but not required
- Must have reliable transportation to practices, games and appearances
- Must be willing & available to participate in photo shoots & promotional appearances in addition to practices & games
- Wednesday, September 3, 2014 - Telus Field (10233 - 96th Ave) - Doors open at 6:00pm Info session 6:30- 7:30pm.
Team requirements, time commitments, compensation and an overview of the season will be provided. Members of the Octane will share their experiences on the Octane and there will be an opportunity to meet the coaches and ask questions.
- Audition Choreography & Promotional 1st round Interviews
Friday, September 5, 2014 - Telus Field (10233 - 96th Ave) - 6:00pm-9:00pm
Choreography for the audition dance will be taught during this session. All interested dance and promotional members must attend; however, no dance judging will take place. Promotional members will get additional information about the position and be interviewed but they will not be required to learn the dance.
- Dance Auditions
Saturday, September 6, 2014 - Telus Field (10233 - 96th Ave) 9:30am-12:30pm
All interested dance team members will be required to perform the audition routine in front of the judges. A cut will be made and successful candidates moving forward in the audition process will be notified and will sign up for an interview time in the afternoon
- Personal Interviews
Saturday, September 6 - Telus Field (10233 - 96th Ave) - 2:00pm - 4:30pm
Those promotional & dance team member hopefuls who are selected will take part in professional interviews with the judges. *Veteran members excluded
- Team Selections - Sunday, September 8 2014
Finalists for both dance and promotional team members will be notified via telephone whether or not they made the team.
There will be a training camp held on Saturday/Sunday, September 20/21. All members of the Octane will be required to attend in order to learn more about the Oilers Organization and their specific role, be introduced to the Octane Sponsors and learn new choreography.
What should I wear to the auditions?
- Dance or workout attire
- Dance or running shoes
- Camera-ready hair and make-up
What are the Judges looking for?
- Dance Skills - talented dancing, style, grace, crowd-pleasing
- Appearance - a neat and polished presentation, physically fit, confident, poised
- Showmanship - smile, eye contact, projection of positive support for the team
- Personality - outgoing, enthusiastic, professional, ability to be a “team player”
Are the Octane paid?
- Octane members are compensated in a variety of ways, through sponsorship, appearances and a graded bonus system depending on the number of games attended