• RSS

Five second-period goals by Grand Rapids result in 5-2 Barons setback

Justin Schultz and Anton Lander score for Barons in losing cause

Friday, 01.4.2013 / 7:23 PM MT / Cenovus Game Story
By Marc Ciampa  -
Share with your Friends

Five second-period goals by Grand Rapids result in 5-2 Barons setback



1. Riley Sheahan - GR
2. Brendan Smith - GR
3. Tomas Tatar - GR
Oklahoma City's record falls to 17-12-1-3. They are in 6th place in the Western Conference pending the result of other Friday night games.
The Barons continue their stretch of three games in three days when they travel to Milwaukee and take on the Admirals Saturday night. Game time is 6:00 p.m. MST.
The Grand Rapids Griffins scored five times in the second period en route to a 5-2 win over the Oklahoma City Barons at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids on Friday night.


Yann Danis got the start in goal tonight for the Barons and Petr Mrazek for Grand Rapids.

Oklahoma City struck for the first goal of the game 9:09 into the opening frame. Teemu Hartikainen picked up the puck on the side boards and walked in front before dishing it to Anton Lander for the goal.

A penalty to Brendan Smith for cross-checking gave the Barons their first power play of the game but they were unable to generate much in the way of offence. 

Just as the penalty expired, Dane Byers took a penalty to give Grand Rapids the man advantage but OKC's PK unit was just as efficient in limiting chances.

Jordan Henry took a penalty late in the first period to put the Griffins back on the power play but again they weren't able to accomplish much as the penalty carried over into the second.

Shots on goal were low on both sides, 3 to 2 in favour of Grand Rapids after one.


Griffins captain Jeff Hoggan pounced on a rebound early in the second period and fired it past Yann Danis to make it a tie game.

Just over two minutes later, the Griffins struck again to take their first lead of the night. Defenceman Nathan Paetsch took a feed in the high slot, skated over to the left circle and wristed it in for the goal.

A minute after that, Tomas Tatar made a brilliant behind-the-back pass to Riley Sheahan in the slot. Sheahan was all alone and made no mistake, deking out Danis for the goal and 3-1 lead.

Fedun made a nice stretch pass onto the stick of Dane Byers, sending him in all alone. His deke attempt was stopped by Mrazek, however.

Shots on goal midway through the game were 10 to 3 for the Griffins.

A goaltender interference penalty to Tatar put the Barons back on the power play but it was Grand Rapids that would control the chances during the man advantage.

Off the face-off in the Griffins zone, Riley Sheahan was sprung for a breakaway but Danis stood tall to make the save. Coming back the other way, Sheahan stripped Hall of the puck along the side boards then spotted Landon Ferraro at centre ice, sending him in all alone. Ferraro made no mistake, firing it in to make it 4-1.

Late in the period, Magnus Paajarvi crashed the net to try and spark some offence but received a goaltender interference penalty for his efforts.

On that man advantage, Smith fired a shot from the point that was tipped in the slot by Tatar right to Sheahan, who was perched at the side of the net. Sheahan tapped it in for the highlight-reel goal.

After getting only three shots in the opening period, Grand Rapids fired 16 on the Barons in period two. Overall, shots were 19 to 9 for the Griffins after 40.


Olivier Roy replaced Yann Danis in goal for Oklahoma City to start the third period. Coach Nelson also shuffled up the lines in an effort to spark his squad. Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi and Mark Arcobello were a line and Taylor Hall skated with Anton Lander and Teemu Hartikainen.

Eight minutes into the final frame, shots on goal were six for both Oklahoma City and Grand Rapids.

Gustav Nyquist nearly made it 6-1 but Olivier Roy stood tall to keep the Griffins off the board in the third. Off the rush, Nyquist made a spin-o-rama from the slot before backhanding on goal but he was denied. 

Oklahoma City netted their second of the game with just over five minutes to play. Justin Schultz pinched in from the point and pounced on a Jordan Eberle rebound to score and make it a three-goal game.