• RSS

Texas shuts down Barons 3-0 in OKC

Barons outshot 26 to 21 and outscored 3-0 on home ice by Texas

Friday, 12.21.2012 / 9:59 PM MT / Cenovus Game Story
By Marc Ciampa  -
Share with your Friends

Texas shuts down Barons 3-0 in OKC



1. Maxime Fortunus, TEX
2. Cristopher Nilstorp - TEX
3. Luke Gazdic - TEX
Oklahoma City's record falls to 13-10-1-3. They remain tied for 7th place in the Western Conference.
The Barons play their final game before Christmas tomorrow night (Saturday) against these same Texas Stars. Game time is 6:00 p.m. MST.
The Oklahoma City Barons were outshot 26 to 21 and outscored 3 to 0 on home ice Friday night at the Cox Convention Center at the hands of the Texas Stars. The shutout defeat was the Barons' first on home ice this season.


Yann Danis got the start in goal tonight for the Barons. Cristopher Nilstorp for Texas.

Nearly four minutes into the opening period, Brenden Dillon took an interference penalty for Texas to give Oklahoma City the early power play.

The Stars killed that penalty and a minute later Taylor Fedun was sent off for slashing at the Stars blueline, giving Texas their first man advantage of the game but like the Stars before them, the Barons had no trouble killing it off. 

Dillon took another penalty at the 11:20 mark as the Barons tried to get into the game, being outshot to this point 6-1.

Late in the period, Taylor Hall blazed into the Stars zone and made a move at the top of the crease but his deke attempt just narrowly missed the mark, keeping the game scoreless.

Final shot count after one period were 15 to 6 for Texas.


Dillon cross-checked Hall into Nilstorp in front of the Stars net and for his actions he received his third minor penalty of the game. The Barons were pressuring on the play and the puck did cross the line but it was only after the whistle had gone. The power play did not even go the distance before Arcobello tripped up Fraser and both sides went to four-on-four.

While both sides were playing four-on-four, the Barons were pressuring for a goal with Marincin deep in the Texas end. The play then went back the other way and Reilly Smith completed a feed from Cody Eakin, batting it out of the air on a two-on-one to slip the puck past Danis moments before the net dislodged.

Just past the midway point, the Barons were being outshot 20 to 10 and trailing 1-0 on the scoreboard. A penalty to Maxime Fortunus for delay of game provided another opportunity to break the goose egg.

Each team had six shots in the period as Texas outshot OKC 21 to 12 after 40 minutes.


Five minutes into the final frame, the only two shots on goal in the period were by Oklahoma City.

In an effort to spark his squad, coach Nelson put Hall back together with Eberle along with Arcobello down the middle. Curtis Hamilton moved to the second line with Josh Green and Teemu Hartikainen.

Texas nearly doubled their lead near the midway point when former Oil Kings forward Tomas Vincour hit the goal post off the rush behind Danis.

The Stars eventually did get that second goal with 9:21 to play as Luke Gazdic teed up the puck from the left circle that beat Danis top corner glove side and made it 2-0 for the Stars.

Dillon added an empty-net goal with 43 seconds left to play.