• RSS

Second-period surge gives San Antonio the win

Rampage score three goals in the middle frame as Barons fall 3-2

Sunday, 12.9.2012 / 3:30 PM MT / Cenovus Game Story
By Marc Ciampa  -
Share with your Friends

Second-period surge gives San Antonio the win



1. Greg Rallo - SA
2. Jordan Eberle - OKC
3. Jacob Markstrom - SA
Oklahoma City's record is now 11-8-1-2. They remain in 9th place in the Western Conference, though still only two points back of 4th.
The Barons now return home for three games starting on Tuesday against Peoria. Game time is 6:00 p.m. MST.
The San Antonio Rampage scored three goals in the second period and that was all they needed in a 3-2 win over the Oklahoma City Barons at the AT&T Center on Sunday afternoon.


Yann Danis got the start in goal for the Barons and Jacob Markstrom for San Antonio. Second straight game for both netminders. Barons lineup was the same as Saturday with the exception of Alex Plante being a healthy scratch in favour of defenceman Jordan Henry.

The Barons carried the majority of the play in the opening nine minutes of the period, outshooting San Antonio 6-2 during that timeframe.

OKC's best scoring chance came off the stick of Justin Schultz after a fortunate bounce off the boards saw the puck come to him between the faceoff circles but his wrist shot was gloved down by Markstrom.

The Barons opened the scoring at the 11:42 mark. A weird bounce in the neutral zone saw the puck squirt loose and Jordan Eberle barrelled down the ice with it. At the left circle, Eberle spun and backhanded it past Markstrom to score a highlight reel goal.

Less than a minute later, Taylor Hall hammered Tyson Strachan in the corner of the Rampage zone. Strachan made it off the ice on his own steam but looked to be favouring his shoulder.

The Barons received the game's first power play with 5:17 to play in the opening frame after Nolan Yonkman took a holding penalty.

At the end of one period, the shots on goal were 14 to 9 in favour of the Barons.


While the two sides were playing four on four, San Antonio struck for a goal to tie the game. Jason DeSantis took the puck into the slot and fired it top corner blocker side past Danis to make it 1-1.

The Rampage had an opportunity to pull in front of the Barons a few minutes later. Marincin received a high sticking penalty at the 7:41 mark.

Less than a minute into the man advantage, Greg Rallo one-timed a blast from the left circle that beat Danis over the shoulder and gave the Rampage a 2-1 lead.

Penalties six seconds apart by Taylor Hall and Greg Rallo put both sides in a four-on-four situation. 13 seconds after that, DeSantis ran Anton Lander from behind in the boards and received two for boarding, giving the Barons an extended four-on-three situation.

It only took the Barons 15 seconds to connect on that four-on-three advantage. After the rush went up ice, Josh Green created a turnover and spotted Teemu Hartikainen rushing the other way. Hartikainen scooped up the puck and skated in on a clear-cut breakaway. The Finnish forward made no mistake, wristing it past Markstrom to make it 2-2.

About a minute later, Chris VandeVelde skated in on a two-on-one with Nathan Deck. VandeVelde elected to shoot and he rattled it off the post behind Markstrom.

San Antonio regained the lead with 2:51 to play in the second. James Wright one-timed a shot from the hashmarks past Danis to make it 3-2 for the home side.

After two periods, shots on goal were 27 to 20 for the Barons but they trailed 3-2 on the scoreboard.


Moments after the Barons killed off a holding penalty to Philippe Cornet, Jordan Eberle was crushed from behind into the boards by Yonkman to give Oklahoma City a power play with a chance to get back on even terms.

Barons were outshooting San Antonio 6-4 midway through the final frame but hadn't really come close to getting the equalizer.

As time was winding down in the period, OKC was having trouble penetrating the zone and getting pressure on Markstrom with San Antonio's tight defensive style clamping down.

In the final two minutes, Hartikainen and Paajarvi both drove hard to the net and nearly drew the Barons even but Markstrom stood tall on both occasions.

With 90 seconds to play, the Barons went with five forwards and Justin Schultz to try and get that tying marker. Hall, Eberle, Arcobello, Green and Hartikainen were the forwards.

Green got into a skirmish with Michael Caruso with just over a minute to play as Green wrestled Caruso to the ice. The result of the play was two extra minutes to Green and a Rampage power play.