• RSS

Aeros rally to top Barons in shootout

Jordan Eberle nets three points in defeat for Oklahoma City

Saturday, 11.3.2012 / 10:01 PM MT / Cenovus Game Story
By Marc Ciampa  -
Share with your Friends

Aeros rally to top Barons in shootout



1. Zack Phillips - HOU
2. Jordan Eberle - OKC
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - OKC
Oklahoma City moves to a 5-3-0-1 record after nine games so far this season. They are three points from the top spot in the Western Conference.
The Barons conclude their stretch of three games in three days on Sunday afternoon when they visit the San Antonio Rampage. Game time is 3:30 p.m. MST.
For the second straight night, the Houston Aeros ralied from a 3-0 deficit in the third period but this time they were able to pull off the victory, 4-3 in a shootout over the Oklahoma City Barons.

Jordan Eberle had two goals and three points on the night to lead the way for OKC. 


It didn't take long for sparks to fly between the two sides after last night's spirited affair. Corbin Baldwin and Cam Abney dropped the gloves for a marathon bout 3:03 into the game. Both combatants got their share of punches in but the result was a draw.

The first power play of the game went to Oklahoma City after Jason Zucker took a two-minute interference minor just past the five-minute mark of the opening frame but the Aeros were able to kill it off without consequence.  

OKC had another man advantage about four minutes later when Johan Larsson got his stick up on Eberle in the Aeros zone.

The Aeros had a flurry of shots on Danis with about five minutes to play in the opening frame but the Barons netminder was able to scramble and cover the puck before any damage was done.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins took a boarding penalty near the end of the period, giving Houston its first power play of the night.

With time ticking down in the period and the penalty having just expired, Justin Fontaine wired a shot from the slot off the post behind Danis.

Shots after one period were 9-8 for Oklahoma City.


57 seconds into the middle frame, the Barons struck for the game's first goal.

Justin Schultz carried the puck down from the point before dishing it to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at the left circle. RNH snapped it quickly top corner behind Hackett to make it a 1-0 game.

A delay-of-game penalty to Zucker seven minutes into the middle frame put the Barons up a man for the third time on the night.

Coming out of the box, Zucker and Brett Bullmer skated in on a two-on-one. Bullmer got the puck over to Zucker but Yann Danis slid across and kicked out the left pad to deny him on the backhand attempt.

The shots were even at 15-15 after two, but the Barons had a one-goal lead.


It only took Jordan Eberle 10 seconds to score early in the third period and give the Barons a 2-0 lead. Eberle stole the puck from an Aeros skater in the neutral zone before breaking in all alone and firing it past Hackett high glove side.

Five minutes into the period, Magnus Paajarvi was hacked by Aeros netminder Matt Hackett.

28 seconds into the man advantage, Eberle stole the puck in the slot before deking out Hackett with a backhand attempt. The net was dislodged as the puck was crossing the line. after a video review, it was ruled a goal.

Houston broke Danis' shutout bid midway through the third. David McIntyre shoveled the puck past the Barons netminder to make it a 3-1 game.

With Tanner House in the penalty box, Houston struck for another goal with 8:25 to play in the period. Chay Genoway registered this marker, to make it 3-2.

Less than a minute later, Joel Broda scored on a three-on-one to complete the comeback for the Aeros. For the second straight night, Houston roared back from a 3-0 third-period deficit to tie the game up.

Shots on goal at the end of regulation time were 25-24 for the Barons.


Some fireworks erupted midway through the extra frame following a Barons scoring chance. There was pushing and shoving from both sides as the net got dislodged.

A penalty to Teemu Hartikainen with 37.2 seconds left in overtime gave Houston an opportunity to get the game winner.

Shots on goal at the end of 65 minutes of play were 28 to 27 for Houston.


1. Jordan Eberle, OKC - saved | Zack Phillips, HOU - scored
2. Justin Schultz, OKC - saved | Kris Foucalt, HOU - saved
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, OKC - hit post | Justin Fontaine, HOU - scored
4. Magnus Paajarvi, OKC - hit post