• RSS

Late goal by Justin Schultz gives Barons 3-2 win

Olivier Roy makes 37 saves and Martin Marincin picks up two points in the victory

Saturday, 10.13.2012 / 1:50 PM MT / Cenovus Game Story
By Marc Ciampa  -
Share with your Friends

Late goal by Justin Schultz gives Barons 3-2 win



1. Olivier Roy - OKC
2. Martin Marincin - OKC
3. Paul Carey - LE
The win means OKC returns home with a split to start the season and an overall record of 1-1-0-0.
The Barons return home for a seven-game homestand that starts next Friday, October 19 against the San Antonio Rampage. Game is slated to begin at 6:00 p.m. MDT.
2:22 after Lake Erie tied the game up, Justin Schultz scored in the final minutes of the third period to give the Oklahoma City Barons a 3-2 win in Cleveland over the Monsters and preserve a split in the team's two-game opening set of the season.

Josh Green and Martin Marincin had the other two goals for the Barons who now return home to play the San Antonio Rampage Friday night in OKC.


The Barons had a few lineup changes for this afternoon's game. Alex Plante, Chris VandeVelde, Curtis Hamilton and Cam Abney were all healthy scratches and Kristians Pelss, Tanner House and Dan Ringwald drew in. Olivier Roy got the start in goal for OKC. 

Josh Green scored 42 seconds in with a shot from a weird angle that went off the skate of Monsters goaltender Calvin Pickard to give the Barons the lead. Ryan Martindale and Tyler Pitlick got the assists.

The first penalty of the game went to Dane Byers, who was sent off for elbowing 3:20 in but Oklahoma City killed it off without consequence.

Shots on goal just past the midway point of the first was 12 to 6 for Lake Erie.

Martin Marincin scored his first career AHL goal
on another fortunate bounce for the Barons to give Oklahoma City a 2-0 lead. Marincin pinched in from the corner of the Monsters zone centered the puck in off Thomas Pock's skate for the goal. Green and Martindale got the helpers.

Olivier Roy made a flurry of big saves in the dying minutes of the opening period to keep Lake Erie off the scoresheet.

The shot count in the first 20 minutes was 17 to 9 for the Monsters but Oklahoma City had a 2-0 lead.


OKC had a four-on-two early in the second period. Taylor Fedun passed it over to Josh Green on the rush but he just narrowly missed the mark. Shortly after the play, Lake Erie took their first penalty of the game -- David van der Gulik for holding.

As the penalty was expiring, Tyler Pitlick made a great move to get around the last Monsters defender back to send himself in on a breakaway but his deke attempt just missed the mark.

Lake Erie got themselves in penalty trouble as the second period went on. They took a series of four straight penalties to give OKC multiple power play opportunities.

As the fourth penalty expired, Oklahoma City got a fifth 10:35 in as Olver cleared the puck over the glass from his own end. Lake Erie penalty killers continued to do a great job on the PK, killing off their fifth straight man disadvantage. 

The Monsters received a power play of their own with 6:45 to play in the middle frame as Dane Byers was sent off for hooking. Seven seconds later, Tyson Barrie wristed a shot from the top of the left circle that eluded Roy and cut the Barons lead in half.

Pock looked to have tied the game in the final minute of the period but the net was dislodged. The disallowed goal did come on a delayed penalty call which negated the rest of the Barons' power play. 

Shots on goal after 40 minutes were 29 to 22 for Lake Erie.


Green nearly made it 3-1 but fanned on his shot attempt from the slot with Pickard down and out of the play during a wild scramble in front of the Monsters net.

David van der Gulik took a tripping penalty about six minutes into the final frame to give Oklahoma City a power play and a chance to extend their lead. However, for the seventh time on the day the Lake Erie Monsters killed off a Barons man advantage. 

With 6:21 to play, Byers took his third minor penalty of the game to give Lake Erie their seventh power play of the game and a chance to tie it. The Monsters had one power play goal to this point in the game.

Moments into the man advantage, Olver had a breakaway where the puck was just out of reach and he poked it on net. Roy made that save and the rebound attempt by Mitchell Heard but Paul Carey put the third attempt in to tie the game.

Oklahoma City regained the lead several minutes later as Justin Schultz stepped into a shot from the right point past Pickard to give the Barons a 3-2 lead with 3:34 to play.

In the final minute, Olivier Roy was brilliant in making some big stops to preserve the win for Oklahoma City.