Late goal by Rampage sinks Barons 4-3

Scott Timmins scores with 21.1 seconds left to play in the San Antonio win

Saturday, 08.12.2012 / 10:25 PM
Marc Ciampa  -

San Antonio scored with 21.1 seconds left to play in the game to defeat the Oklahoma City Barons 4-3 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio on Saturday night.

Barons goals were scored by Anton Lander, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi.


Yann Danis got the start in goal for the Barons. Jacob Markstrom for San Antonio.

Lines for the Barons tonight: Hall-Arcobello-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen; Hamilton-Green-Pitlick; Byers-VandeVelde-Cornet.

Defence pairings for the Barons tonight: Marincin & Schultz; Fedun & Teubert; Deck & Plante.

It only took the Barons 11 seconds to open the scoring. Right off the opening faceoff, Anton Lander skated into the Rampage zone and fired a wrist shot from the left circle that beat Markstrom to make it 1-0. Nathan Deck got the lone assist for his first career AHL point on a goal that was the fastest in Barons history from the start of a game.

Just past the period's midway point, Alex Plante got a puck in the throat and play had to be stopped as he skated to the bench but after being looked at by the trainer, he appeared to be okay and did not miss his next shift.

With 7:47 to play in the opening frame, Colten Teubert collided with Jon Sim in the neutral zone and received two for interference, giving San Antonio the game's first power play.

Dane Byers got into a brief fight with Justin Vaive with less than two minutes to go in the period. After a few punches were thrown, both combatants fell to the ice.

The Barons extended their lead to 2-0 with 41 seconds to play in the first. Justin Schultz and Jordan Eberle worked a nice give-and-go that ended with Schultz finding Eberle at the slot and his one-timer found the back of the net.

22 seconds later, the Rampage got the goal right back. Scott Timmins took a clumsy behind-the-back pass from Colby Robak at the left side of the net and the puck somehow found its way in.

After one period, shots on goal were 10 to 9 for San Antonio.


1:37 into the middle frame, the Rampage scored to tie the game. Greg Rallo took a feed in the slot from Casey Wellman, who was skating down the wing off the rush. Rallo took the feed and beat Danis with a nice backhand move to make it 2-2.

Oklahoma City responded several minutes later. Teemu Hartikainen fought off Alex Petrovic to one-hand a pass to Magnus Paajarvi in the slot and Paajarvi made no mistake, wristing it in to give the Barons a 3-2 lead.

Barons received their first power play of the game at the 6:01 mark. Michael Caruso was sent off for cross checking but the Rampage were able to kill it off. Later in the period, Alex Plante took an interference minor to give the Rampage a chance to tie it up but this time it was the OKC PK unit that came through.

Sustained pressure late in the period by Oklahoma City forced the Rampage to take a penalty. Timmins hooked Marincin in the high slot as the Hall, Eberle, Arcobello line was cycling in the puck for well over a minute.

Total shots after two periods were 19 to 17 for the Barons.


6:49 into the third period, Jon Rheault created a turnover in the neutral zone and made a nice move to break free of the Barons defence. Off the rush, he wristed a shot past Danis to tie the game at 3-3.

With just over six minutes to play, Arcobello took an interference penalty after muscling a Rampage forward away from the play at the side of the net.

After the penalty was killed off, Danis made a nice glove save off Quinton Howden. Howden got off a quick backhand in the slot but the Barons netminder was there to extend his glove and snag it out of the air.

With 21.1 seconds left to play, San Antonio scored to take the lead. Scott Timmins one-timed a shot from the hashmarks that beat Danis through the five hole and gave the Rampage a 4-3 lead.

Back to top ↑