RNH leads Barons to a 5-2 win over Milwaukee

Nugent-Hopkins has two goals and an assist in the victory over the Admirals

Saturday, 17.11.2012 / 11:11 PM
Marc Ciampa  - edmontonoilers.com

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had two goals and an assist and Jordan Eberle had three assists to help lead the Oklahoma City Barons to a 4-2 win over the Milwaukee Admirals at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City on Saturday night. The win gives the Barons a sweep of their two-game weekend set with the Admirals.


Picking up where Friday's game left off, tempers erupted just over three minutes into the game as the two sides broke out into a skirmish at the Barons blueline. The result of the outbreak was a couple of penalties on either side, resulting in a four-on-four.

32 seconds into the play with four skaters aside, Milwaukee struck for the game's first goal. Daniel Bang knocked the puck in out of mid-air after the intial shot from Austin Watson.

Moments after the goal, Taylor Hall was denied on a breakaway by Admirals netminder Jeremy Smith.

5:40 into the period, Plante dropped the gloves with Ads captain Mike Moore. Neither combatant had the edge in a fight that saw several punches thrown on both sides.

With 11:48 to go in the first, Milwaukee received the first power play of the game. Jordan Henry got two minutes for holding.

After killing off that penalty, the Barons got a chance on a power play of their own. Milwaukee's Scott Valentine received two minutes for tripping.

Dane Byers dropped the gloves with Jani Lajunen with 5:04 to play in the period. Byers scored a decisive decision in the fight.

Oklahoma City tied the game with less than four minutes to go in the first as Justin Schultz's point shot rang off the post before hitting the Admirals netminder and trickling over the line.

With 47.4 seconds to go, the Barons struck again -- this time five-on-five. Taylor Hall's shot was redirected in mid-air on its way to the net by Nugent-Hopkins to give OKC a 2-1 lead.

Fight night continued as Tanner House and Scott Valentine dropped the gloves deep in the Ads zone with four seconds to play in the period.

Shots on goal after one period were 13 to 11 for the Barons after Milwaukee had initially held a 10-4 edge earlier in the frame.


On the power play nearly six minutes into the middle frame, the Barons extended their lead to 3-1. Taylor Fedun pinched in from the point and wristed home pass from behind the net from Magnus Paajarvi for the goal.

Just past the period's midway point, Milwaukee struck to make it a one-goal game once again. Mattias Ekholm took the puck in the high slot and wristed it high past Danis to make it 3-2.

15 minutes into the period, the Ads had a 15 to 5 shot advantage on OKC.

The final shot count after two periods was 22 to 19 for the Admirals.


Through the first eight minutes, neither team had a great chance to score though the Barons had a shot edge of 4-1.

With 11:40 to play in the third, Alex Plante limped to the bench but he would return.

Oklahoma City went down a man with 9:29 to play in the period after Anton Lander received a two-minute minor for delay of game after closing his hand on the puck off the draw.

With 28 seconds left in the Lander penalty, Byers directed a shot at the net that was kicked out by Smith. But Curtis Hamilton was right there to backhand in the rebound and make it a 4-2 game with the shorthanded marker.

Alex Plante dropped the gloves with Michael Latta after Latta hammered Paajarvi at the top of the Barons zone. Latta cut Plante in the fight.

Milwaukee looked to have scored to make it a one-goal game with 1:40 to play but it was ruled that the shot was knocked into the net with a high stick.

With a nice move at the blueline, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins put in an empty-netter to seal the deal, giving the Barons a 5-2 lead.

Back to top ↑